Thursday, June 12, 2008

Novell: Biting the hand that feeds them

My first real use of Linux was a few years back starting with the then newly released SuSE 10.0. All in all, for a relative newcomer to Linux, it did the job for me and aided me in my transition to freedom.

Today I am a full-time Linux user, but the thing is, I'm no longer using that distro, which is now called openSUSE. Why? Simply because of conscience.

I couldn't use it knowing that the company behind it agrees with Microsoft with regards to their patent infringement claims [ just google for "microsoft claims linux violates patents" and you'll see what I'm talking about ].

There is a lot of material out there that provides the details, so I won't go into that here. I will however share my opinions on Novell.

I know the openSUSE community and Novell are obviously not the same thing, but then openSUSE exists as the vehicle for development and innovation by the community, upon which Novell can build for their commercial versions (SLED and SLES).

Don't get me wrong - openSUSE has always been my absolute favourite among distros, but Novell has crossed the line.

I've noticed that people criticize Linux companies like Red Hat, Mandriva and Canonical for 'commercializing' Linux. I would agree that the world would not be a better place if everything Linux was all commercial. However, I figure that some commercial involvement is a good thing for Linux as it broadens the horizons for Linux in general and allows the 'non-free software' world to see that 'this thing is for real'.

I think making money with Linux is a good thing provided it is done in an ethical manner.

Commercial Linux is good if the company concerned is giving back to Linux. Yes, Novell have contributed a large amount of code (? any ideas how much?), but trying to profit from M$'s anti-Linux FUD is just no good.

The problem I see with Novell, despite their contributions to Linux development, is that they're cashing in on the whole Microsoft thing to further their own interests. Of course, in signing up with M$, they have provided some sort of substance to M$'s claims and that is not a good thing.

Not a good thing for the community; not a good thing for Novell.

I guess, to make a long story short, they are biting the hand that feeds them.

This is the reason I've written them off. I used to only use SUSE/openSUSE, but after the Novell/Microsoft deal, I was put off, much like the rest of the community.

And let's not forget M$'s part in this. If they can cause division in the Linux community, then that would supposedly help them tighten their weakening strangle-hold on the computing world.

To date, however, it's been all talk and no action. I haven't really seen any significant development resulting from this deal. No real benefit for anyone but Novell and M$.

Time will tell exactly what effect these odd dealings will have.

For me, it just means that using openSUSE is no longer viable. Thus, I've moved on to other distros, which is a good thing :) I've been using PCLinuxOS, Mandriva, Ubuntu and it's all good (more about that in another post).

In order to maintain freedom, we must always remain in a position where we have a choice. I think this whole thing is one big attempt to undermine our freedom to choose.

What do you think?
What effect has this whole thing had on you, as well as the Linux community in general?

No comments: